News
Preston Lions hit with points deduction, hefty fines as tribunal delivers verdict over South Melbourne incidents
By Sacha Pisani19 August 2026

Preston Lions have been hit with a three-point deduction, more than $18,000 in fines and supporter restrictions for next season following an Independent Tribunal hearing into the incidents that marred their NPL VIC clash with rivals South Melbourne.
Football Victoria confirmed the sanctions on Wednesday following Tuesday night's hearing, bringing the latest chapter of a disciplinary process that has stretched for more than a month to an end.
READ MORE: Preston Lions condemn 'abhorrent' behaviour as NPL giants respond to Football Victoria sanctions
The three-point deduction comes through the activation of a suspended penalty Preston had carried into 2026 following sanctions stemming from last year's NPL VIC preliminary final against reigning champions Heidelberg United.
The Lions have also been handed a further six-point suspended deduction, which will remain hanging over the club until the beginning of the 2028 season and can be activated should Preston receive another MP10 sanction in Football Victoria-administered competitions during that period.
Financial penalties total $18,150, consisting of a $16,500 fine relating to an MP10 breach and another $1,650 for an MP5D breach.
There will also be significant consequences for Preston supporters in 2027.
Football Victoria said Lions fans attending away fixtures next season will be restricted to registered club members who present photo identification, with Preston responsible for managing and enforcing the measure.
The points deduction and financial penalties will take effect following the conclusion of the appeal window on August 26.
The latest sanctions relate to the fallout from Preston's NPL Victoria fixture against South Melbourne at Lakeside Stadium on July 18.
The match itself finished goalless, but the occasion was overshadowed by the conduct of a section of Preston supporters before and during the fixture, including the display of offensive banners.
Football Victoria subsequently described the scenes as "utterly disgraceful" and launched an investigation while working with Victoria Police, the clubs and venue operators to identify those responsible.
Preston's following two NPL Victoria home fixtures, against Bentleigh Greens and Green Gully, were subsequently ordered to be played behind closed doors.
Preston publicly apologised days later, condemning the behaviour as "abhorrent" and saying individuals identified as being responsible would "not have a place in our game".
The club also said they had been working to identify those involved and had provided information to Football Victoria as part of the investigation.
The disciplinary process escalated further last week when Preston were issued with a second strike under Football Victoria's Three Strike Policy, which triggered a three-point deduction and referral to the Independent Tribunal for consideration of further sanctions.
Following this week's hearing, the Tribunal has now confirmed the three-point penalty alongside the additional suspended deduction, fines and supporter restrictions.
Football Victoria said the sanctions highlighted the wider consequences supporter behaviour can have on clubs, including players, officials, members and the broader football community.
The outcome arrives during an extraordinary season on the pitch for Preston.
They have competed for a place in the NPL Victoria finals, stunned A-League opposition in the Australia Cup and recently defeated Heidelberg United 3-1 to lift their first Dockerty Cup in more than three decades.
Now, however, their league campaign will be impacted by a three-point penalty once the appeal window closes.


